One of my colleagues Beverly Looney has done some amazing research
on the qualities of a good leader.
Chapter 7: Organized Planning
I have been doing a little research on the major attributes of leadership
and would like to share with you what I found out.
1. Unwavering Courage – Knowledge and belief in yourself and your position.
Doing the things you know a leader should do and standing firm in your
commitment. Being the leader you would want to follow. It is not easy but
it is worth it.
2. Self Control – It is the ability to be able to control ones emotions, behaviors
and desires in order to get rewarded later on. It is strongly associated with
success: higher self-esteem, better interpersonal skills and better emotional
3. A Keen Sense of Justice – Martin Luther King Jr. is a perfect example of this
trait. People followed him because of this trait which made him a strong leader.
A leader with this quality will do the right thing even when no one is watching.
4. Definiteness of Decision – If we waver in our decisions then we are unsure
of ourselves. We must make our decisions quickly and change them slowly. We
must stick with our decisions even though nothing is going right. Only then will
we become successful.
5. Definiteness of Plans – Successful people have a definite purpose and plan for
attaining it. You must decide what your goal is and then lay out definite steps for
attaining that goal. If you are a drifter you will be unable to become successful
6. The habit of doing more than paid for – There is no way we can reap if we have
not sown the seed first. We reap what we sow so if we sow love and are willing
to go the extra mile for someone. We get back in life what we give. The Bible
says “Cast your bread upon the waters, for you will find it after many days”.
7. A Pleasing Personality – Attracts others to us. Do you have a firm handshake and
a warm smile? Do you speak with self-confidence? We much show a genuine interest
in others so they will want to join us in our business.
8. Sympathy and Understanding – We need to respect the feelings of others. We need
to understand and care about the other person. When we are an empathetic listener
we will not have our own agenda but will truly understand their point of view.
9. Mastery of Detail – This is a key leadership quality that must be developed. We will
fail in the long run if we overlook the minute details. It is so easy to look at the big
picture and fail to do the little task which need to be done. If we are unable to do
this ourselves then we need to have someone else do them for us.
10. Willingness to Assume Full Responsibility – This is a critical leadership quality which
is necessary to succeed in business. If you do not have your followers back then for
sure there will be distrust and your organization will crumble. We need to take full
responsibility for any mistakes which are made.
11. Cooperation – The process of working and acting together in harmony and side-by-side.
It is team work with mutual benefits. We need to listen, encourage and follow as well as
lead. We need to recognize the needs of our team members and think before acting. We
need to do our fair share and use others ideas when possible.
I believe these eleven attributes of Leadership are so essential and critical if we are to
become the person we were meant to become.
Thank you Michael, Linda and our great Mastermind group for all your love, help and support.
Your friend always,
Thank you Beverly you have done some amazing research into what it takes to be a leader.
The sense of responsibility and attention to detail makes you realize that it does come with a price that we have to pay.